Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sir John Summerscale

It occurred to me to look at The Times obituaries for the elusive Sir John, editor of The Penguin Encyclopedia. And there he is. It's a classic diplomat's career, in countries that no longer exist. I am fascinated by these men of the late Empire. They were there as the world changed, and presided over it as an afterthought. Sir John probably signed away lives and fortunes before settling down to his game of bridge.
Update 8th May 2012. A reader asked me for details of when this was published. I answered to your email address at roadrunner.com, but it bounced back as undeliverable. So, for the record, the obituary was published in The Times on Saturday, Aug 09, 1980; pg. 14; Issue 60699. 

2 comments:

harriet said...

Perhaps you should write his biography! or a multiple one called "Men of the Late Empire".

Rob said...

Maybe I should! I came across a few others of his type recently, and I may blog about them.